Advice on Pursuing CCIE R&S

Unanswered Question
Jul 25th, 2008

I acheived my CCNP about 2 years ago. I however ended up working in an environment with "other" vendor switches and routers. In short i have not worked with a Cisco router or switch in 2years. The current vendor switches and routers are somewhat similar to the cisco IOS but offcourse different.

Here is my question (s):

I would like to pursue my CCIE R&S. I'm overwhelmed. Where do I start?

What books to use?

Expected duration assuming i'm wholly dedicated and have an 8-5 job?

How difficult will this be knowing that i have not worked on cisco equipment in over 2yrs?

What Lab equipment do i need to have to make this realistic?

Please help.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
4rmorris Mon, 07/28/2008 - 13:07

Start by checking out the written lab blueprint and reading list at the CCIE website:

(the book list is a bit out of date)

I highly recommend "Routing TCP/IP" for CCIE written and lab preparation, and the latest CCIE R&S Written Exam Prep Guide, both from Cisco Press. I referred to these throughout my studies.

I completed my CCIE from start to finish (begin studying for written to passing the lab) in 12 months. 3 months prep for the written, then 2-4 hours of prep most days for 8 months for the lab. In the last month I did a few 8 hour practice labs and spent a lot of time reading the DocCD:

Don't be discouraged... lots of people take years to complete the CCIE depending on their jobs/life/family. It's a lot of stuff but it is very attainable. Having a lab or renting rack time will be critical to gain the speed and confidence you need to get through the real lab.

Good luck!

Ryan Morris

CCIE #18953

This Discussion