Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF and RIP

drnteam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to redistribute RIP into OSPF and in my area 0 i can see the RIP routes as E2. But i cannot ping to the RIP domain from area 0 and vise versa. What can be cause of this?

4 Replies 4

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Make sure that u have included the subnets keyword.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi Mahmood,

The subnet keyword is included in the redistribution, but still i am not able to reach the RIP domain even though the Route is avaliable in the OSPF domain.

AJAZ NAWAZ
Level 5
Level 5

You must redistribute both ways. This method is more commonly referred to as 'Mutual Redistribution'.

Redistribute OSPF into RIP. Be careful though. If you are redistributing at multiple points i.e. more that one router, then this can cause routing loops. If this is the case you must filter routes being learned back.

You with me?

Ajaz

sdoremus33
Level 3
Level 3

Perfolrm mutual redistribution as metioned previously Ex

Redistribution OSPF into RIP

router rip

default metric "x" x is def metric

redistribute ospf 1 match subnets

or

redistribute ospf 1 match internal external 1 external 2 -> The following sets a match clause for interarea router from OSPF into RIP

Redistribution RIP into OSPF

router ospf 1

redistribute rip subnets

Side Notes:

If you are redistributing remember to avois routing loops this can be doen via the following

1) Distruibution Lists

2) Route Maps

Verify mutual redistribution via show ip route

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: