Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS PE/CE routing protocol decision

James Lasky
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've to build up a new domestic MPLS network and I'd like to find some guide lines for the best PE/CE routing protocol decision (ie pro, cons, max number of prefix supported, max number of protocol instance config on the PE, example of best config, etc).

I'd like to standardize this protocol decision and config (this is done today in different way by any system engineer configuring the CE..)

Does anybody knows where I can find these info ?

Can anybody answer my question?

Is there a white paper for this topic ?

Tks

Ric

6 Replies 6

shivlu jain
Level 5
Level 5

www.netcraftsmen.net/welcher/seminars/scalingmpls.pdf

actually from PE-CE, BGP is the best one because it is very scalable solution. If you go for any other protocol which will impose more cpu processing and other overheads on the router.

regards

shivlu

Do you have an idea of how many ospf processes (associated to a VRF) are supported in a Cisco 7206VXR acting as PE ?

Tks

Ric

Unlimited from IOS 12.3(4)T. Depends om memory available.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t4/feature/guide/gtospfvf.html

before 11.0 ios its ws 28 but now a days are unlimited.

regards

shivlu

Tks mates!

And what about BGP, RIPv2 ? ISIS ?

pro ?

cons ?

Tks

ISIS - Not supported as PE-CE routing protocol

RIPv2, BGP and EIGRP runs as address family context and I am not aware of any limitations other than possibly protocol limitations.

Prefer BGP if possible, makes life easier as you not have to redisribute into BGP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: