CCSP help!!!!!

Unanswered Question
Jul 26th, 2008

Hello guys,

I finished my cisco firewall specilist certification , i want to acive my ccsp certification since there is lot of change happening in ccsp certification .the new ccsp certification requirement is to pass 3+1 exam .i am confused if i pass another two paper will i be ccsp after the avaliability of new paper . Thanks !

Mahadev N

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
rob.huffman Sun, 07/27/2008 - 09:24

Hi Mahadev,

Yes, those two exams would count towards the CCSP Cert, so passing two of the remaining exams (1 Required and 1 Elective) shown below would Certify you as a CCSP;

Candidates for CCSP will now need only four exams (three required, one elective) with the introduction of the new CCNA Security as a prerequisite, instead of the five exams required today (four required, one elective). ** Retired exams that have been passed may be used towards exam requirements for three years.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le54/learning_certification_type_home.html

You would need one of these;

642-503 SNRS

642-524 SNAF

642-533 IPS

And one of these electives;

642-513 HIPS

Last day to test 11/17/2008

OR

642-591 CANAC

OR

642-544 MARS

OR

642-515 SNAA

Available 8/29/2008

Hope this helps!

Rob

michael.leblanc Mon, 07/28/2008 - 06:13

I disagree with Rob's assessment of your situation.

Prior to recent changes you were required to write five CCSP-level exams. You have written two of them (SND, SNPA).

With recent changes, you now have the option of writing four CCSP-level exams AND the CCNA Security exam which is the new pre-requisite that is to replace the SND exam. That is still five exams that are required.

Edit: If someone chose the CCNA Security pre-requisite, SND would not be one of the four CCSP-level exams required for completion.

If someone was starting from scratch, they might choose the CCNA Security pre-requisite and the four CCSP-level exams, or they might stick with the pre-existing (time-limited) path of five CCSP-level exams which would include the SND pre-requisite.

The fact that you have SND and not CCNA Security, pre-disposes you to continue on the existing path. Either way, it's still five exams.

I believe you need to write SNRS, IPS, and one of the elective exams, for a total of three more exams.

rob.huffman Tue, 07/29/2008 - 06:02

Hi Michael,

I have to agree, I think I missed the CCNA Security requirement :) +5 points for catching this and giving Madhadev the proper info. Thanks man!

Take care,

Rob

michael.leblanc Tue, 07/29/2008 - 07:31

Rob:

Thanks for the response. I'm sure consensus among responders is beneficial for the original poster.

mahadev_ambitionb Wed, 07/30/2008 - 05:14

HI

Please advice me correctly iam planning to take ips exam . what should i have to do in order to get in to new ccsp track i,e. 4 exams to achieve ccsp certification

rob.huffman Thu, 07/31/2008 - 05:54

Hi Madhadev,

My appologies for causing this confusion. As Michael correctly noted you would need;

You would need "TWO" of these;

642-503 SNRS

642-524 SNAF

642-533 IPS

And one of these electives;

642-513 HIPS

Last day to test 11/17/2008

OR

642-591 CANAC

OR

642-544 MARS

OR

642-515 SNAA

Available 8/29/2008

Hope this helps!

Rob

michael.leblanc Thu, 07/31/2008 - 06:26

Rob and I agree on the number of exams required to complete your CCSP, given that you have written SND and SNPA.

However, I do have a concern.

The incoming 642-524 SNAF exam appears (to me) to be a replacement for the 642-523 SNPA exam which is being retired.

If you decide to pursue the 642-524 SNAF exam, I would talk directly with Cisco first. It would be a shame to find out (after the fact) that the combination of SNAF and SNPA didn't meet certification requirements, due to overlapping content.

I don't know if it's an issue, I just know that I would need confirmation before I pursued it.

I think you would be safer, and achieve a better educational experience if you went with SNRS and IPS, plus an elective.

harman_nagra Mon, 08/04/2008 - 15:42

Hi Guys,

Here is the deal.

If you have done any of the exams from the old track, they are still valid for three years are counted towards your CCSP.

It even says on the CCSP information page:

Candidates for CCSP will now need only four exams (three required, one elective) with the introduction of the new CCNA Security as a prerequisite, instead of the five exams required today (four required, one elective). ** Retired exams that have been passed may be used towards exam requirements for three years.

So you can continue on the old track and finish the exams before they are retired.

Or Stop for couple of months

Well you can still do IPS 642-533.

And then wait for the ASA exams. or Wait for the ASA exam but do any other of the electives.

Sorry in a bit of a rush but hope it makes sense.

Summary though: Do any combination of old and new exams, it doesnt matter, what matters is that old exams will be "retired" soon, but not become invalid for 3 years.

HTH

Harman

Actions

This Discussion