Access Servers

Answered Question
Jul 27th, 2008

Can anybody give me a concise explanation as to what an access server is and how important it is (if any) to a network. Practically anything you know about it will be appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by howtonetwork about 8 years 4 months ago

Hi,

The access server basically lets you quickly and easily access several devices via their console port. You can have 8 or 16 connections to console ports.

There is an article telling you how to configure one here:

http://www.howtonetwork.net/public/525.cfm

Thanks

Paul

Correct Answer by mlaforest about 8 years 4 months ago

I bought an access server recently for my home lab (2509). You also need an octal table that converts from the long async connection to 8 rj45 terminated ends. The rj45 ends plug into console ports of other cisco devices. You can then log into your access server either through its console port or with ssh/telnet, then do a 'reverse telnet' into the other devices you are connected to.

Basically you connect to the access server and you use that to console into your other routers/switches without having to move a single console cable around each time you want to connect to a different device. Very handy for a lab environment.

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
babatunde_sanda Sun, 07/27/2008 - 20:56

I am sorry I didn't specify correctly. I meant access servers like CISCO AS5200/2509 ACCESS SERVERS.

Correct Answer
mlaforest Wed, 07/30/2008 - 05:30

I bought an access server recently for my home lab (2509). You also need an octal table that converts from the long async connection to 8 rj45 terminated ends. The rj45 ends plug into console ports of other cisco devices. You can then log into your access server either through its console port or with ssh/telnet, then do a 'reverse telnet' into the other devices you are connected to.

Basically you connect to the access server and you use that to console into your other routers/switches without having to move a single console cable around each time you want to connect to a different device. Very handy for a lab environment.

Dean Brandt Wed, 07/30/2008 - 05:38

yeah I did the same thing and it works brilliantly. Anyone know how to set up menu types of access? I know how to write the menus, I just can't find how these become default screens for certain users as they log in to the access server.

Dean

Correct Answer
howtonetwork Sun, 08/03/2008 - 23:52

Hi,

The access server basically lets you quickly and easily access several devices via their console port. You can have 8 or 16 connections to console ports.

There is an article telling you how to configure one here:

http://www.howtonetwork.net/public/525.cfm

Thanks

Paul

Actions

This Discussion