Views
Helpful
Replies

VLSM

hassaan_st
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a confusion with regard to VLSM. I have read, during my degree, that in order to do VLSM, we should start from the top (i.e. the highest number of hosts required). However,i have also seen cases (Cisco Dumps particularly), where they have started from the bottom (i.e. the lowest number of hosts required).

I am wondering what is the best approach?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

grichardson661
Level 1
Level 1

The best approach when working with VLSM and I'm sure others will agree, start with the subnet that the requirement states - largest number of hosts.

Following this method helps prevent wasting addresses. Have ago your self and use VLSM in both directions, you will see the difference.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

grichardson661
Level 1
Level 1

The best approach when working with VLSM and I'm sure others will agree, start with the subnet that the requirement states - largest number of hosts.

Following this method helps prevent wasting addresses. Have ago your self and use VLSM in both directions, you will see the difference.

ellendrew
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

It really depend upon you on what you'll be using if it's from lowest or largest but for me it's much more easier when you assign the largest first.

Thanks,

Allen

Yep, largest first.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card