Views
Helpful
Replies

problem 2950 with vlan

gdspa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

I have a problem with a 2950 switch with 48 ports. In the first group of ports (1 to 16) there are no problems. If I connect my laptop to a port of the second or third group, port looks to be connected, but I can't ping pcs on the ports of the 1st group on the same vlan. Then, I can't ping pcs of the first group from another switch . Port in trunking mode is the 48 one, in the 3rd group. Do you think there is an hardware problem?

4 Replies 4

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

post your config.

also send us the "show version".

what port is your laptop connected to and what are port the destionation device is connected to you trying to ping?

jumolina
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I assume those groups/vlans are in different subnets. If you want to ping PC's on the first group, you will need to configure intervlan routing. A 2950 switch is a Layer-2 device only, so you will need a router in order to accomplish that.

2950 is connected with port 48, which is in trunking mode, to a 6500 switch whih acts as a router. The problem started 2 weeks ago, before, with the same configuration, everything was working. Do you know some debug command I could use?

You can run a tracert to the PC on the other vlan to see where it stops. It will be useful if you can attach the 'sh run-config' from both switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: