CCIE Security

Unanswered Question
Jul 28th, 2008

Hi

I'm targetting for CCIE Security written exam within this year and will appear for CCIE security lab exam next year.

The current written blue print version is v2.0

Now once I pass written exam of Blueprint 2.0 and next year cisco releases blueprint v3.0 , do I need to appear for v3.0 written exam again?

I'm aware cisco gives 6 months time for any changes in blueprint.

Regards

Soumen

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
srue Mon, 07/28/2008 - 02:30

Expiration

Candidates must make an initial attempt of the CCIE lab exam within 18 months of passing the CCIE written exam. Candidates who do not pass must re-attempt the lab exam within 12 months of their last attempt in order for their written exam to remain valid. If a candidate does not pass the lab exam within three years, the written exam expires and must be passed again before the candidates will be allowed to schedule the lab.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/exam/index.html

SHAWN EFTINK Mon, 12/29/2008 - 13:57

To elaborate a little further, there are 2 conflicting statements on the Cisco website.

"Candidates must make an initial attempt of the CCIE lab exam within 18 months of passing the CCIE written exam. Valid passing scores on written exams expire after 18 months."

"You must pass the lab within three years of passing the written to achieve certification. Your first lab attempt must be made within 18 months."

Ultimately, this makes sense to me when only looking at the CCIE certification. However, I currently have my CCSP. I plan to take my CCIE Security Written, which will renew my CCSP. Assuming I take and fail my first lab in the 18 month period and I make my second attempt 12 months later (total of 30 months), will my CCSP have expired or will it stay renewed as well?

tperrier Tue, 12/30/2008 - 00:45

30 months < 36 months. Your CCSP will still be valid for 6 months in your example.

SHAWN EFTINK Tue, 12/30/2008 - 07:10

So basically, the CCIE written will renew the professional level certification for 3 years assuming you make an attempt at the CCIE Lab within the first 18 months. Is that statement correct?

Rob Huffman Tue, 12/30/2008 - 09:22

Hi Shawn,

If you pass the CCIE Written exam, this will recertify your CCSP for 3 years. This is "regardless" of whether you ever take/pass the CCIE Lab exam.

Cisco Certified Security Professional Recertification

CCSP certifications are valid for three years. To recertify, pass any 642 exam that is part of the professional level curriculum after 01/01/06, or pass a current CCIE or CCDE written exam.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le54/learning_certification_type_home.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Actions

This Discussion