cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS 11500 Series Factory Reset Process

nixon001c
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know how to perform a full factory reset on CSS 11500 series kit (specifically at this point in time the CSS 11503)? I am writing config guides to take "Out of the box" CSS 11503's and configure them from scratch.

To fully test the documentation I need to reset the CSS 11503's to the same configuration that they come out of the box with, i.e. prompts with the Cisco licence agreements etc.

Erasing the startup-config goes partway to acheiving this but not the whole way.

I was advised to try the "delete nvram" command by a colleague but this command doesn't exist (or seem to) on the CSS.

Does anyone know how to fully clean and reset a CSS to its "out of the box" configuration (what I call a Factory Reset).

2 Replies 2

To reset the CSS running configuration to the default configuration, use the "clear

running-config" command in SuperUser mode. This command takes effect immediately. The

"clear running-config" command resets all configurations to their defaults.

To reset the startup configuration to the default configuration, use the "clear

startup-config" command in SuperUser mode. This command takes effect upon the next reboot.

Syed Iftekhar Ahmed

Whilst those commands do their stated tasks, this still doesn't reset the CSS to its virgin state. When the CSS completes the restart cycle you are then presented with the following:

Press any key to login...

User Access Verification

Username:

Password:

##########################################################

# Setup Script for the Content Services Switch #

##########################################################

Checking for Existing Config

No startup-config was found, continue with the setup script [y/n]? y

When a CSS is taken out of the box and powered on you see a completely different startup routine and this is what I am trying to return to:

Do you agree to the terms and conditions set forth in the Cisco Information Packet, Software License section (yes/no)

followed by:

Use the Ethernet Management port IP address to access the Content Smart Switch for configuration and management only. This port does not route traffic and is not associated with VLAN circuits.

The current address setting (0.0.0.0) disables the Ethernet management port.

Do you wish to configure a valid IP address for the Etherenet Management port (y/n)?

followed by:

Enter IP Address [0.0.0.0]:

followed by:

Enter Subnet Mask [0.0.0.0]:

followed by:

Enter Default Gateway [0.0.0.0]

followed by:

Access to this device is allowed using the default username and password. For enhanced security we recommend that you change the defaults. Do you want to change the defaults no (yes,no):

followed by:

Enter username (Minimum 4 characters):

followed by:

Enter password:

followed by:

Confirm password:

followed by:

Set password protection for Offline Diagnostic Monitor Menu (yes,no):

followed by:

Would you like to access the Offline Diagnostic Monitor Menu (yes,no):