Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 Redundancy

DARYLE DIANIS
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a core 6509 with dual sup720's and dual power supplies. Management is concerned that this is a single point of failure. What are the chances that this will totally fail? Is there a big risk here?

thanks

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 'chance' is always there and you do have a single point of failure.

Ideally, running dual 6509 Cores - each with a single Supervisor - is the common design, if you have budget constraints.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Im with Edison, this is the million dollar question! we have 6509 switches, they are about 9 years old and has never crashed, I mean the chassis.

I have had sup crashes but standby takes over.

On the other hand I have seen brand new 6509 out of the box and chassis has developed problems, possibly damaged during shipping.

Put asside what type of Network Devices brand your company is using, whether is Cisco or others. What it comes down to is "return on investment", and how much your company will be willing to take losess in terms of $$$ should the company's CORE network failed.

As a network administrator/engineer you should always provide and present to management the design guidelines and the risks for not investing in more fault tolerant architecture DUAL CORE, chanses that a chassis will fail is slim if properly grounded but you never know.

HTH

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Besides everything that Jorge and Edison have said, theres also the amount of tolerable downtime that exists.

I used to work for a client that was willing to tolerate a 12-hour turn around time for repair. He had a service contract with Cisco for a 4-hour swap-out commitment.

So that was that. He had 1 switch and only 1 SUP, in fact, and was happy.

HTH

VL

thanks to everyone, to complicate things, its a collapsed backbone, so all the servers connect here. It also has the fwsm, idsm and nam. So, I need rack space, all the modules, I assume, more power and the servers need to be dual homed, too. Its going to be a big project. But, the bottom line is the business, so I if my management is willing, I should go ahead.

But, the bottom line is the business, so I if my management is willing, I should go ahead.

Very key statement. Present it to the management and let them decide. If something happens, it was not because you didn't bring it up.

__

Edison.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card