Views
Helpful
Replies

1711 etherswitch question

is66rlhntadm
Level 1
Level 1

the other day we were setting up a 1711 for a disaster recovery plan and anyway

we needed a 2 port switch temporarily and only really needed 1 of the prots on the etherswitch permanently

so I figured we should be able to put ports 3 & 4 in a seprate Vlan and leave port 1 in vlan 1 so I did the following

vlan database

vlan 2

exit

conf t

int fa 3

sw acc vlan 2

int fa 3

sw acc vlan 2

end

but it didn't work

we came up with a workable solution to be corrected soon

but I still would like to figure out why it didn't work

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You created the Layer2 Vlan and assigned port membership, but if you needed those workstations to reach devices outside that Vlan, you needed to create a Layer3 interface for Vlan 2.

For instance:

interface vlan 2

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

and configure the workstations w/ default gateway pointing to Vlan 2

__

Edison.

no I didn't need vlan2 to have a L3 interface

it was a temp fix to not having a cross-over cable

(just making a 2port L2 switch)

the Co-Lo had their stuff configured wrong

at first they had a trunk port going to our rack

in testing the link (after they made their port an access port) we found that we ether nedded a cross-over adapter or a switch inbetween our router and the Co-Lo's cable and having only brought one stand alone switch with us we were trying to come up with a temp fix that would work till we can get an other switch up there or get them to fix the config

In a inter-switch connection, you always need a crossover cable or a switch capable to support auto-mdix.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk214/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094781.shtml#appc

HTH,

__

Edison.

what we wanted was to connect their cable to our router but that wouldn't work (I think they already made it a crossover cable so we need to uncross it)

so as it was we needed a switch inbetween out router and their cable

at this point its more ceriosity as to why my temp workaround didn't work as my boss is going up their today with a crimping tool and a few ends to change our end of thier cable to the "A" spec

Can you explain in detail "what didn't work" and "what was the workable solution" ?

__

Edison.

quick topo layout

Planed

(Co-Lo)-(1711-ISA-Switch-Servers)

pluging the Co-Lo's ethernet cable into the on-board Fastethernet port didn't work (not even activity leds)

a testing workaround was to plug the Co-Lo's cable into a switch and then a cable from that into the fa0 port

so as we didn't want to use the same switch for the servers as to link to the Co-Lo we tried

(I know a bit crazy)

(Co-Lo)-(vlan2/fa3)

(vlan2/fa4)-fa0

(fa1/vlan1)-(ISA/wan-port)

(ISA/lan-port)-switch

switch-servers

the temp(undesirable) solution that quite soon will be changed is

(Co-Lo)-switch-1711-ISA (with the 2 most important servers pluged into the etherswitch and both ports of ISA also pluged into the etherswitch)

the undesirable solution has worked good enough but obviously is not a very good way to do it (well niether is the vlan2 idea but it should have worked)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: