cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Controller questions

cef2lion2
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 4402 controller and a WiSM module in our core 6513 switch.

Out of the box our 1131 APs always join the second controller on the WiSM. Is there a means to control which controller it the AP joins out of the box? I do not have any of the controllers set as master. I manually adjust the primary and secondary after the AP is up and running. Was wondering what the tertiary field is for.

All our controllers run the same WLANs. Should I be looking at using mobility groups? I need to read up on that a bit. Do controllers in a group share WLAN information such as a change or addition of a WLAN get pushed to other controllers in the group.

Craig

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

slapham
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed 462 of the 1131 Ap's in our environment, and here is the best way I have found.

With the number of Ap's I am using Layer3 with a DHCP server with a scope for each subnet with option 43 giving the AP's all of the controllers addresses(they need to know all for failover purposes). I actually set one controller as Master (just for the config then I turn off the Master). That way I can monitor a single controller and as AP's come up, I can configure the preferred controllers...Tertiary is just for additional redundancy as a Third prefered Controller.

Mobility Groups: This is really used for active information sharing, not configuration sharing. There is a way to mass configure all controllers through WCS using Templates and applying them to all applicable controllers. I hope this info helps...

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

slapham
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed 462 of the 1131 Ap's in our environment, and here is the best way I have found.

With the number of Ap's I am using Layer3 with a DHCP server with a scope for each subnet with option 43 giving the AP's all of the controllers addresses(they need to know all for failover purposes). I actually set one controller as Master (just for the config then I turn off the Master). That way I can monitor a single controller and as AP's come up, I can configure the preferred controllers...Tertiary is just for additional redundancy as a Third prefered Controller.

Mobility Groups: This is really used for active information sharing, not configuration sharing. There is a way to mass configure all controllers through WCS using Templates and applying them to all applicable controllers. I hope this info helps...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card