Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunk Causing Swtich To Reboot????

mrashby
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I have two Catalyst 4948's and I have a L2 trunk between the two of them. Evey time I hook that trunk up one of my switches reboots and it won't stop rebooting until I disconnect the trunk. Has anyone seen this before?

8 Replies 8

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

These are common configuration errors:

Different native VLANs

Different Virtual Terminal Protocol (VTP) domains

Trunking mode is incompatible with the encapsulation type.

Trunking Between Catalyst

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008012ecf3.shtml

mchin:

So what?

Those misconfigs are not going to cause a switch to reboot.

He should open a Cisco TAC case because something bizarre is occuring.

VL

srivkind
Level 1
Level 1

Console into the switch that fails and see what errors come up. Try doing a show stacks command on the switch that fails after it reloads and put the output thru the output interpreter and see what comes up. Maybe try doing a show tech as well and put it thru the output interpreter and see what info you can glean. Also as previously suggested open a TAC case and see if there are any bugs or something.

Call Cisco. Open a TAC case.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mario,

how is built your L2 trunk ?

are you using an etherchannel with two or more parallel links ?

If so never modify the vlan allowed lists on a member link do it only on the logical port-channel interface.

We faced two times this problem on C6509 and we had to have someone unplug the fibers of all the links to recover.

If your trunk is made of a single link I agree you should open a TAC case.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I don't think it makes alot of difference what is configured - to my knowledge, no configuration in any platform should cause the device to reboot.

There is a serious IOS/Hardware error here, raise a tac case, or send your switch back to your supplier and get a replacement.

HTH>

Call Cisco. Open a TAC case.

All,

Thanks for the input after all the troubleshooting it turned out to be a bad ten gig module.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: