cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Input Drops on TenGigabitEthernet Links

jrabener
Level 1
Level 1

I'm seeing input drops/flushes on a group of 10GB interfaces.

Utilization is around 1%, so utilization is not an issue.

What else should I be looking at to determine the root cause?

Thanks-

4 Replies 4

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Hi:

Just do the obvious first...

Check the fiber cables -- swap them out if you have to

Swap out the GBICs too

Make sure your speed and duplex settings are correct.

You know...basic layer 1 stuff.

HTH

VL

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Joseph,

have a look at the following it describes some bugs that might apply to your case

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801751d7.shtml#subtopic3d

meaning of input drops:

Input queue - The number of packets in the input queue. Size/max/drops means the current number of frames in the queue/the max number of frames the queue can hold before it must start dropping frames/the actual number of frames dropped because the max queue size was exceeded. The input queue size can be modified by issuing the hold-queue in interface command. Be careful when increasing the size of the queue as this may result in traffic delays because the frames get stuck in the queue for a longer period of time.

from

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_configuration_example09186a0080118a5c.shtml#step12

Hope to help

Giuseppe

jphilope
Level 3
Level 3

Also, make sure you are using 10Gig certified cabling. It should be aqua in color. If you are using standard 1 gig cable (yellow or orange in color) they may not be up to the task.

Thanks to all for your observations and suggestions. They will help me formulate a strategy to address this issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card