cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Protocol for 60 routers

Chris Trusler
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, i am trying to fix a network. Right now it is setup with OSPF. There are 6 "core" routers in 6 seperate offices (mix of 1841's and 2811's). These routers all have VPN tunnels between them to make a full mesh. Connected to 2 of these "core" 2811's is about 10 871w's (these are spread around the country in jobsite trailers). Each of the 871w's need access to all the servers on the "core" network but not nessarly each other.

Here is my problem. We are looking to get a ton more of the 871w's in the next 2 years (around 50 total). I know OSPF won't handle this load very good due to the amount of areas we will need to setup and run. what is a better choice? I have heard running EIGRP for everything and also OSPF for the "core" and then EIGRP for the 871w's. I do have adv IP service on each router.

1 Reply 1

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

Not sure why you think OSPF could not handle this. When you start getting very big both EIGRP and OSPF have similar issues. Your option is to use ISIS or BGP but I don't think you are even close to large enough to worry.

Since your 871 only need to get to the core I would use NSSA. To make it simpler I would use a different stub area off each core router. With the no summary option you would only inject default to the remote routers and only the cores would see all the routes from your edge 871 routers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card