cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Second Block of IPs from verizon

michael1752
Level 1
Level 1

We recently had to get a second block of IPs from Verizon. The IPs have been setup by verizon to point to our router. When doing a trace route to one of the new IPs it makes it to the router but then dies. What do I need to do to the router so that it will pass the IPs through? Only thing I can see to do is add the block as secondary IP to the router interface, add a connected route, or both. The router is a 2821. We have three bonded T1s on the WAN side and a single Gig interface on the LAN.

4 Replies 4

Once the traffic makes it to your router it needs to know how to get to that network internally. If all you have is the 2821 then as you said you can either use it as a secondary address on an interface, use the address range on a different interface or use it for NAT (global address range) of internal hosts. The benefit with NAT is you don't have to readdress the LAN hosts and the addition of new address range would be transparent to the hosts.

HTH

Sundar

rajib_das
Level 1
Level 1

you must add a static route pointed to the interface.

Could you done from separed Vlan.

I ended up using the static route and so far so good the router is now forwarding the IPs to the firewall as expected.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card