cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCME, ATA and Faxing

exonetinf1nity
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings, ive been trying to setup an ATA186 for connection to a fax machine, we are using SIP as our primary voip method and i have configured the following parameters in CCME, im aware that there are issues with SIP and Faxing as most providers dont support T.38 but i was hoping to work around this issue by registering the device in SCCP.

!

voice service voip

allow-connections h323 to sip

allow-connections sip to h323

allow-connections sip to sip

no supplementary-service sip moved-temporarily

no supplementary-service sip refer

modem passthrough nse codec g711ulaw

!

dial-peer voice 8383 voip

preference 1

codec g711ulaw

incoming called-number 0121*******

fax rate disable

no vad

!

ephone-dn 135 dual-line

number 0121******* no-reg both

label Fax Line

name Fax Line

!

ephone 12

mac-address 0021.55D5.9C70

type ata

button 1:135

!

ephone 13

mac-address 2155.D59C.7001

type ata

The ATA is successfully registered with CME using load ATA030203SCCP051201A.zup and is configured as per the attached image, I currently have the ATA plugged into the fax machine on Port 1 but when i try and call the number it just rings out when i would expect to hear a fax tone.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards

3 Replies 3

Michael Hanes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If I am understanding you correctly, when you call the fax machine attached to the ATA it just rings but never answers the call. If you are physically beside the fax machine when it is called, do you actually hear it ringing or are you just hearing ringback from the calling phone's handset? If the fax machine itself is audibly ringing, then this proves that the call is definitely making it to the fax machine and you need to find out why the fax machine is not picking up.

Many fax machines have different answer modes. Make sure that that this fax machine is set to automatically answer incoming calls. Regardless of your topology and network configurations, if the call is hitting the fax machine then it should answer with the CED or ANSAM tone.

Regards,

David

Thank you for your response David, yes the call is ringing out and not being answered by the fax machine i cannot here tones coming from the fax either.

I am leaning towards this being a SIP issue but i would have expected the call to at least be attempted to the fax machine.

Regards

OK, it sounds like the call is not making it to the fax machine then. All fax calls start off as regular VoIP calls. Until VoIP works between two endpoints, you do not have to worry about the fax piece. In fact you may just want to replace the fax machine with a standard analog handset as you troubleshoot this VoIP problem.

You mention that the call control protocol is SIP so this would be a good place to start troubleshooting. This sounds like a CME call routing issue since the call is never physically connecting to the fax machine. Unfortunately, troubleshooting CME is not my specialty, so I will let some others chime in to provide additional troubleshooting on this issue. Good luck.

Regards,

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: