Views
Helpful
Replies

Router line speeds?

david-manson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have a gigabit connection in my office and want to plug that into a router. I note however, that 2800's don't support gigabit line speeds. Do any of the Cisco range support 1Gbps or will I never get gig speed from my leased line?

Cheers

6 Replies 6

lee.reade
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

You have a gig serial line? presented via a serial cable? That must cost a bit...

Most serial ports will only do up to 2MB, unless you get a HSSI (high speed serial interface)

You could just get a media converter to change it from serial to ethernet, quite cheap to buy.

The 2800 has gig ports built in.

HTH

LR

No, its a Gig ethernet, fibre to the office line. I'm looking to use the HWIC-1GE-SFP.

Sounds like your sorted then....

HTH

LR

Except the datasheet says:

Note: The HWIC provides Gigabit Ethernet connectivity but will not support line rate since the throughput is limited by the platforms.

So my question is, which router will support 1Gbps line speeds?

Hi,

I think it is going to be hard to confirm 100% what device you should use, I have attached a doc that shows cisco's susggested throughput for an average routers, from this you can see that 7200 NPE g2 will be the router that you would need to sustain 1 gigabit thruput.

It would prob be prudent for you to put this to your local cisco SE, so they can confirm.

HTH

LR

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For line rate gig, and for 64 byte Ethernet, you'll need about 1.5 Mpps forwarding rate. Double that for full duplex.

About the only current "software" router that provides that level of performance is the 7304 with the NSE-150 because of its PXF.

However, many "slower" routers have gig Ethernet ports, which could be matched against your expected average performance. For instance, the 2821 has gig Ethernet which might be able to substain over 50 Mbps.

Depending on your feature needs, an "inexpensive" L3 switches, such as the 3560G-24TS or ME-C3750-24TE-M might be worth considering.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card