cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Peer Firmware Sharing CM4.2

balitewiczp
Level 2
Level 2

have 200 remote phones that I will be pushing new image to. has anyone used this to assist in downloading image, instead of all the phones going over a WAN. I enabled the "peer firmware sharing" field on the phone product config, not to sure what to do now. Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Pete,

Have a look at this post where someone actually got this working. It only works with specific models of IP Phones. The Option 150 does not need to change;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&topicID=.ee6c829&fromOutline=true&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cc055e5/0

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Interesting question, havent tried this but worth a try...

The description is very clear:

PPID. Enables or disables Peer to Peer image distribution in order to allow a single phone in a subnet to retrieve an image firmware file then distribute it to its peers - thus reducing TFTP bandwidth and providing for a faster firmware upgrade time.

This is a required field.

Default: Disabled

So you would configure dhcp scopes of remaining phones to point to this ip phone as tftp server. I d suggest that you do not plug in all phones at the same time as the phone may not be able to handle hundreds of requests at the same time...

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Didnt think it could be that easy (point phones to it), but will try. there is also a 4.x tool called ccmppid, which turns multiple phones into tftp servers.

thanks for your help

Let me know how this works for you..i am very much interested to know the performance of the tftp server on the phone.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hello. aparently, its not as simple as pointing the other phones to the upgraded phones. Phone is enabled for firmware sharing.Changed option 150 to phone IP address, rebooted phones, doesnt pick up new image.

After reading some information on this my take is that you would enable peer firmware sharing on all phones at the remote sites, and a master is elected.

Read Below:

Peer Firmware Sharing

This feature allows peer firmware sharing on a remote location, in order to save bandwidth during the upgrade of the IP phones.

The configuration is very simple. Update the feature on the IP phones on

the remote location and one of the devices is selected as master and it shares the file with the other IP phones.

Here also is a FAQ

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_qanda_item09186a00800a6763.shtml#q46

Matt

Interesting. thanks for the info. Then what would I use for TFTP Server under Option 150 of the dhcp voice network?

Hi Pete,

Have a look at this post where someone actually got this working. It only works with specific models of IP Phones. The Option 150 does not need to change;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&topicID=.ee6c829&fromOutline=true&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cc055e5/0

Hope this helps!

Rob

Well at least I have some answers now. Cant figure out how to select multiple phones to upgrade. There is no BAT for product specific ocnfigs. So far, have selected individual phones and enabled firmware sharing, then reset them and others at the same time.

thanks for all your help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: