cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to insert routes into VRFs on a Multi-VRF CE router?

gwhuang5398
Level 2
Level 2

I have a 7206 CE router running multi-VRF with its PE. There are 3 VRF's configured between the CE and the PE. Let's call them VPN1, VPN2, and VPN3.

The CE has static routes, OSPF routes, and BGP routes from various sources. I want to selectively insert different combimations of those routes into the 3 VRF's. What's a good way to do it?

I'm thinking under the "address-family" config, just use "redistribute static route-map ..." and "redistribute OSPF route-map ..." to get static routes and OSPF routes into a VRF with the use of route-maps. For BGP routes, under "address-family" config, use "neighbor ... route-map" to select BGP routes into the VRF with the use of a route-map.

I;ve never used the "neighbor" statement with a route-map in address-family config.

Thanks for your help.

Gary

2 Replies 2

lee.reade
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

You cannot use route-maps under the address family to achieve this, as this will try to redist the routes from the vrf route table, which the routes you desire are not located, they are in the global table.

You can either create static routes in the vrf and point to a next hop in the global table, then redist into the address-family or you can use the import map feature to selectively import routes into your vrf.

However, remember that your routes need to work both ways, that is once your global routes are in your vrf table, for end to end reachability, the global table will need the routes back to the vrf sources.

Check out;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t14/feature/guide/gt_bgivt.html

HTH

LR

Hi:

Thanks a lot for the help. How can I let the global table know which source network is in which VRF? So the return traffic can be routed to the right VRF.

Thanks

Gary

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card