cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sup 2A Hybrid upgrade to Native IOS

jim_berlow
Level 3
Level 3

I'm curious if this is possible. I have a Sup 2A that is running hybrid CatOS / IOS on MSFC. I want to upgrade this Sup 2A to native IOS. I know that many people do this in conjunction with a Sup 720 upgrade, but I do not have the budget to upgrade to the Sup 720.

Can anyone offer me any advice on this? Will I be limiting myself in any way by doing this?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated !

Jim

5 Replies 5

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Jim,

You can run current native IOS images on the SUP2 with a memory upgrade. The latest images require 256Mb RAM and 53Mb (rounded up to 64Mb). There will also be the task of converting the hybrid OS to a hybrid IOS command set. This has been done, and can be done... I've done it many times. Best of luck!!

Mark

Thanks, Mark. Useful information. When you mention 53 Mb (64 MB) what are you referring to? Is this flash?

Thanks again,

Jim

Jim,

Yes that is flash memory. Sorry for leaving that out.

Mark

Thanks for your help, Mark.

Jim,

You are most welcome. Here is a guide to converting the SUP2 to native IOS. Best of luck on the upgrade!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008070f124.shtml

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card