cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High Utilization on cat switch

chilihead74
Level 1
Level 1

I 've go a high CPU utilization (96%) on a cat3750.

if I run a sh processes cpu command I see that IP RIB Update consumes so much.

what could this be, even if RIP don't run on this switch and how could I solve this problem?

183 19648925 511157 38440 0.00% 77.74% 81.70% 0 IP RIB Update

5 Replies 5

s-sheffield
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

There could be some route flapping going on.

I would check your routing table to see if there is any flapping going on and at what rate it is happening.

Have you also checked to see if there are any associated bugs with the version of IOS you are running.

hi,

you're right all routes are flapping.

the IOS version is 12.2(44)SE.

are there any known bugs with this version?

what should I try to fix this?

Hi

I've heard of a few instances with the issue your experiencing and some 12.2 versions but can't find any known bugs though.

The link below is about sorting this type of issue when using BGP. If your not using BGP let us know what protocols your using.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00800945fe.shtml

hope this helps

I've run IGPs of all flavors on 12.2(44) code with no issues. Have you tried to reboot the switch? How about just a "clear ip route *" command?

You didn't make it clear that you are running RIP or some other IGP so please clarify that point.

I'm running BGP and I tried clear ip bgp and rebooting the router but that didn't solve the problem, all the bgp routes still flapping.

how can I find out if it is maybe a recursive routing?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco