Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Secretary IP Phone Configuration

Hi,

Can anybody explain me how should the typical secretary/receptionist's

IP Phone be configured in terms of Communications Manager configuration ?

I mean the best practices of configuring DNs, Speed Dials or something else

for such kind of employee role. Let's imaging he/she has got 7961 terminal

with 2 (two) 7914 expansion modules.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tobivan,

Good stuff my friend!

In CCM 4.x this Presence "Like" config is really just Shared Lines and possibly an Intercom Feature;

Here is an example for a Secretary/Admin DN 5119 with one Manager with DN 5116

For Assistants Phone - 7961

Line Button 1 - Ext 5119

Line Button X (on 7914) - Ext 5116 (Set to Flash Only)

Line Button x+1 - Speeddial to Ext 4123 (Label Text Intercom xxxx)

For Managers Phone - 7941

Line Button 1 - Ext 5116

Line Button 3 - Ext 4123 (Label Text Intercom) **Set this to Auto Answer on Speakerphone**

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tobivan,

I'm not sure there is a "standard" for this type of config as every deployment is different :) In pre CCM 5.x/6.x setups the Secretary likely has multiple Line appearances of her own Listed DN along with a Speeddial to the Manager with Auto Answer on His/Her end to act as an Intercom.

The lines on the 7914's are usually used to Monitor other users (Ring Setting Off) to see a type of Presence Off Hook/On Hook before Transferring calls to them.

With the release of CCM 5.x/6.x (I beleive you are moving towards CCM 6.x :) there are many more configuration options along with Department Attendant Console availability.

True Intercom can be setup;

The Intercom feature allows a user to place a call to a predefined target (phone). The called destination auto-answers the call in speakerphone mode with mute activated. This sets up a one-way voice path between the initiator and the destination, so the initiator can deliver a short message, regardless of whether the called party is **busy or idle.

To ensure that the voice of the called party is not sent back to the caller when the intercom call is automatically answered, Cisco Unified Communications Manager implements whisper intercom. Whisper intercom provides only one-way audio from the caller to the called party. **The called party must manually press a key to talk to the caller.

From this 6.x doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/2x/release/notes/cucmbe_relnotes/601ccmrn.html#wp218023

The Lines on the 7914's will likely change as well with the introduction of "built-in Presence"

In CCM 6.x this is a traditional BLF (Busy Lamp Field) which is used to monitor On/Off Hook, Busy/Idle conditions on users phones, as well as having a Speeddial functionality for fast dialing and Transfers.These keys can't be used to answer actual calls.

In Cisco Unified CallManager 6.x this is called - Speed Dial Presence

Cisco Unified CallManager supports the ability for a speed dial to have presence capabilities via a busy lamp field (BLF) speed dial. BLF speed dials work as both a speed dial and a presence indicator.Only the system administrator can configure a BLF speed dial; a system user is not allowed to configure a BLF speed dial.

States are:

Idle

Busy

Unknown

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_implementation_design_guide_chapter09186a008070bc02.html#wp1070507

So you have basically a speed-dial button that also lights up when the person is on the phone.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thank you much, Rob.

Yes, I've tried BLF functionality in CUCM 6.x, it works :) and requires no DLU at all.

My additional question is how to implement Presense in 4.x release ? You wrote:

{

"The lines on the 7914's are usually used to Monitor other users (Ring Setting Off)

to see a type of Presence Off Hook/On Hook before Transferring calls to them"

}

Can you please explain this configuration in a bit greater detail ? Or advice the document.

Thank you.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tobivan,

Good stuff my friend!

In CCM 4.x this Presence "Like" config is really just Shared Lines and possibly an Intercom Feature;

Here is an example for a Secretary/Admin DN 5119 with one Manager with DN 5116

For Assistants Phone - 7961

Line Button 1 - Ext 5119

Line Button X (on 7914) - Ext 5116 (Set to Flash Only)

Line Button x+1 - Speeddial to Ext 4123 (Label Text Intercom xxxx)

For Managers Phone - 7941

Line Button 1 - Ext 5116

Line Button 3 - Ext 4123 (Label Text Intercom) **Set this to Auto Answer on Speakerphone**

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: