cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560 switches EMI vs SMI

shanepresley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there, I've been doing some reading on EMI vs SMI images on 3650s, and just wanted to confirm that I wasn't missing anything.

I want to use the 3650s for VoIP and POE. That would also require QOS of course. It will be layer 2 access switches, no layer 3 requirements.

It seems EMI is mostly focused around Layer 3. Is that correct? Anything else I'd be missing (assuming I only need layer2) if I went with the SMI image?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"The Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series can be purchased with the IP Base or IP Services licenses

pre-installed. The IP Base license (formerly called the Standard Multilayer Image, or SMI) offers advanced QoS, rate limiting, ACLs, and basic static and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) routing functions. The IP Services license (formerly called the Enhanced Multilayer Image, or EMI) provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, including advanced hardware-based IP unicast and IP Multicast routing as well as policy-based routing (PBR). The Advanced IP Services license, although not available as a pre-installed option, upgrades Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series switches to include IPv6 routing and IPv6 ACL support. Upgrade licenses are available to upgrade a switch from the IP Base license to the IP Services license or Advanced IP Services license as well as from the IP Services license to the Advanced IP Service license."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5528/product_data_sheet09186a00801f3d7d.html

In short, for Layer2 only - IP Base (SMI) is fine.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"The Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series can be purchased with the IP Base or IP Services licenses

pre-installed. The IP Base license (formerly called the Standard Multilayer Image, or SMI) offers advanced QoS, rate limiting, ACLs, and basic static and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) routing functions. The IP Services license (formerly called the Enhanced Multilayer Image, or EMI) provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, including advanced hardware-based IP unicast and IP Multicast routing as well as policy-based routing (PBR). The Advanced IP Services license, although not available as a pre-installed option, upgrades Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series switches to include IPv6 routing and IPv6 ACL support. Upgrade licenses are available to upgrade a switch from the IP Base license to the IP Services license or Advanced IP Services license as well as from the IP Services license to the Advanced IP Service license."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5528/product_data_sheet09186a00801f3d7d.html

In short, for Layer2 only - IP Base (SMI) is fine.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Excellent, thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card