IOS upgrade strategy

Unanswered Question
Jul 30th, 2008
User Badges:

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, but does anyone know whether there has been an update to Cisco Doc ID 25562, a Best Practices for IOS management which is now 2.5 yrs old? I am looking to put something together for my management about when/how often to upgrade switch and router IOS's on production equipment that isn't experiencing problems. My inclination is "almost never" but the Windows environment has led to a mindset of "patch every month". I know, totally different environments. But the pressure is building.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Collin Clark Wed, 07/30/2008 - 12:31
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

This probably won't help much, but our security policies determine when we upgrade IOS.

Mark Yeates Wed, 07/30/2008 - 12:59
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

George,

I am going to agree with Collin with this one. The only times I will recommend upgrading an IOS.

1) Major bug, or vulnerability on existing IOS

2) To support a new feature that is necessary

3) To support hardware such as a new blade

I would not encourage a policy to constantly have IOS have updates for the sake of upgrading to the latest and greatest. Bottom line upgrade only when necessary.

HTH,

Mark

nick.franzen Wed, 07/30/2008 - 14:30
User Badges:

I agree, mostly. My only caveat would be to avoid getting a situation that your in where your ios is 2.5 yrs old. Maybe include some language in your recommendation that says "scheduled upgrades every year except when major bug/security issue arises or new feature is needed", etc.

Actions

This Discussion