Disable STP on Catalyst Express 500?

Answered Question
Jul 30th, 2008
User Badges:

I have one switch (CE500) in the broadcast domain so I don't need STP running and needlessly using up bandwidth. Is there a way to turn it off?

TIA

Correct Answer by garytayl about 8 years 10 months ago

I agree with tdrais in regards of disabling STP however, if you still want to accomplish this, go to Configure>VLANs and then click the Advanced button and then you will be able to uncheck the STP opcion for each VLAN.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
tdrais Wed, 07/30/2008 - 12:57
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

The commnad in the above post will accomplish the task if you can use cli on these switches.

Disabling spanning tree is a bad idea. Even worse with the newer switches that have mdix on them.

Even though you only have 1 switch you can get spanning tree loops. Spanning tree has saved us so many time when someone is bored sitting in a conference room and plugged 2 jacks together on the table.

The amount of traffic is very very small for stp messages. If you really want to reduce this you can look at a feature called BPDU FILTER but I am unsure it is supported on these small switches.

bmbreer Fri, 08/01/2008 - 06:12
User Badges:

Thanks for responding. I was aware of that command. The problem I have is that the Catalyst Express 500 has no CLI.

Thanks

Correct Answer
garytayl Fri, 08/01/2008 - 08:18
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

I agree with tdrais in regards of disabling STP however, if you still want to accomplish this, go to Configure>VLANs and then click the Advanced button and then you will be able to uncheck the STP opcion for each VLAN.

bmbreer Fri, 08/01/2008 - 08:49
User Badges:

Gary,

Thanks for the response. In all my looking around in the GUI I missed that one. Thanks for the warnings, but this is not a production environment it's a classroom environment and I don't want the STP traffic muddling up things when the students use Wireshark.

Actions

This Discussion