cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable STP on Catalyst Express 500?

bmbreer
Level 1
Level 1

I have one switch (CE500) in the broadcast domain so I don't need STP running and needlessly using up bandwidth. Is there a way to turn it off?

TIA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I agree with tdrais in regards of disabling STP however, if you still want to accomplish this, go to Configure>VLANs and then click the Advanced button and then you will be able to uncheck the STP opcion for each VLAN.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

switch(config)#no spanning-tree vlan x

The commnad in the above post will accomplish the task if you can use cli on these switches.

Disabling spanning tree is a bad idea. Even worse with the newer switches that have mdix on them.

Even though you only have 1 switch you can get spanning tree loops. Spanning tree has saved us so many time when someone is bored sitting in a conference room and plugged 2 jacks together on the table.

The amount of traffic is very very small for stp messages. If you really want to reduce this you can look at a feature called BPDU FILTER but I am unsure it is supported on these small switches.

Thanks for responding. I was aware of that command. The problem I have is that the Catalyst Express 500 has no CLI.

Thanks

I agree with tdrais in regards of disabling STP however, if you still want to accomplish this, go to Configure>VLANs and then click the Advanced button and then you will be able to uncheck the STP opcion for each VLAN.

Gary,

Thanks for the response. In all my looking around in the GUI I missed that one. Thanks for the warnings, but this is not a production environment it's a classroom environment and I don't want the STP traffic muddling up things when the students use Wireshark.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: