Re-installing a failed MDS 9124 into a 2 fabric SAN

Unanswered Question
Jul 30th, 2008

I have a MDS 9124 that I am replacing. It is part of a A/B fabric. I have saved the copy of the 'running-config',copied the startup-config to a safe place. I have captured the port assignments using the FLOGI database. I loaded this information on the new replacement switch.

The old switch was ISL'd to a CORE MDS 9506 switch.

I am not sure of the steps to re-instate the new switch into the fabric and re-connect it to the MDS 9506.

Any help or directions would be greatly appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Michael Brown Fri, 08/01/2008 - 10:01

If the configuration in the new 9124 is the same as the one removed, all that should be needed is to connect a cable between the same port that was used on the original 9124, in the new 9124, to the port in the 9506 and then issue 'no shut' on that port.

I would make sure that the 9124 has no active zonesets for any of the VSANs when you make the ISL connection. Let the 9124 get the currently active zonesets for the VSANs from the core.

show zoneset active vsan x

This command should show no response in the 9124. If that zoneset is empty, it will assume the zoneset from the 9506 once the line to the core comes up.

You might want to map the domain IDs used in the new 9124 to match was what in use in the original 9124. This is seen in the flogi information.

Email me at [email protected] if you need additional assistance.

Thansks,

Mike

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Storage Networking