Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IEE 802.1Q (VLAN's)

Hi,

i want to know is ther any LINUX based Router which can support IEEE 802.1Q to perform VLAN's,I tryed with Zebra which is the Linux based Router but it dosen't support 802.1Q for Inter VLAN Communication.

can any one help me i just need a LINUX Open source Router just for Inter VLAN Communication.

Thanks In Advance

Regards

Kiran

3 Replies 3

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Kiran

I am not sure I understand your problem?

Any Linux box with 2 NIC's and IP Forwarding enabled on those NIC's will route between the VLAN's.

i.e. NIC1 eth0 --> 172.16.0.1/24 & IP Forwarding enabled

NIC2 eth1 --> 192.168.0.1/24 & IP Forwarding enabled

Connect a cable from each NIC to a switch. Connect other equipment to each switch and give then the relevant IP addresses and default gateway information.

i.e. equipment connected to the switch which is connected to eth0 get IP addresses in the 172.16.0.x/24 subnet and 172.16.0.1 as the default gateway.

Now equipment connected to each switch should be able to ping equipment connected to the opposite switch, which is on a different subnet.

Zebra is only required if you want to run routing protocols such as RIP or OSPF on Linux.

HTH

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi,

what you said is right.

i have a 2950 switch and i dont have a cisco router for Inter-VLAN Communication.i have a Linux box with 1 eth0 port.

Know i want to do eth0.1--for VLAN2 and eth0.3---for VLAN-3.

for that i need a router right so do u know any Linux based router which can do dot 1Q encapsulation .

Hi Kiran

Sorry, I have never tried using a single NIC with sub interfaces.

I did however find the following on the net

http://www.candelatech.com/~greear/vlan/howto.html

http://www.candelatech.com/~greear/vlan.html

Maybe the information on these sites might help.

Best Regards,

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card