cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

portal.lck still exists after shutdown of LMS processes

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

usually a .lck file indicates that a process has unique access to a certain file/process/db etc.

when stopping the lms processes there is the following file left :

NMSROOT\MDC\tomcat\webapps\cwportal\db\portal.lck

is it just forgotten to be removed or does this has a certain reason?

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This file typically exists after the portal is first initialized. I haven't seen any problems with it being left behind.

no, it is not a real problem. I stumbled accross this file, because a customer reported the following error generated by the backup software (acronis) while taking a backup of the LMS server:

ERR - failure reading file: D:\Program

Files\CSCOpx\MDC\tomcat\webapps\cwportal\db\portal.lck

(WIN32 33: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file. )

Interesting thing is that the processes were stopped before taking the backup and I was wondering if that could point to a deeper not obvious problem with the system.

I told the customer just to exclude that file from the backup process. I think that's all what needs to be done.

It would be interesting to run Process Explorer to find out what process still had that file open when the daemons were shutdown. Under normal operation, it should be Tomcat that owns that lock.

I will try and get the info tomorrow.

the customer reported that this problem wasn't seen from begining but suddenly started and now appears on a regular basis when a full server backup is taken. A test with a manual shutdown of dmgtd and investigation with Process Explorer does not show an abnormal behaviour. 'portal.lck' was not in use by any process. All LMS processes are stopping in less then 5 mins (around 300 devices Win2k3 AS 2CPU with 8 GB RAM :-) ). And they are stopped by a script around 30 mins before the backup takes place.

Because the real backup happens on sunday night at 02:00 am, I told the customer he should try to recreate the problem on a regular business dayto find the cause of this message;

- I will report if there are any news -but I cannot follow-up this thread the next 3 weeks :-))

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: