cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fractionally MGCP

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

Is this workable, I know it is not offically supported but I`m sure on another site I worked on, this was configured and working- We do not wish to use H323 just yet -thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes - you have to configure the Gateway with the fractional config , and turn off the config server feature to prevent the ccm from overwriting this config the next time it re-registers. The config on the router will not affect the registration of the gateway to the call manager.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

pcameron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Call Manager has no awareness of fractional T1 or E1 interfaces so it always assumes the T1 interface always has 24 timeslots and an E1 has 30 timeslots.

Therefore there is no obvious way to configure a MGCP fractional PRI. The workaround, while not perfect, is to do the following -

1) Not using ccm-manager config since this will always configure a full PRI. When the gateway is reset, the call manager downloads a new config file and will over write any previous configuration. So if you have a fractional T1/E1 configured under the channelised controller, it will be changed back to a full T1 or E1 when the gateway re-registers.

2) Using b channel maintenance in Call Manager to busyout the unused channels so it doesn't try to set up a call on those channels.

Here are the steps:

Go to ....

CCM Administrator > Service > Service Parameters > Cisco Call Manager >

Advanced

Then on the Advanced page, you need to go to any one of the five "Change B-Channel Maintenance Status"

For example:

Change B-Channel Maintenance Status 1

0 -- In service

1 -- Graceful out of service

2 -- Forceful out of service

e.g. so, if you wanted to only have the first 6 channels, you would add the following :

S0/DS1-0@SDA123456789ABC = 0000 0011 1111 1111 1111 1111

where SDA... is the MGCP name of the gateway and the S0/DS1-0 means the slot/port of the gateway (in other words the MGCP endpoint identifier)

Enable Status polling on the Gateway configuration page.

On your MGCP Gateway, you would remove these commands to prevent the config from being downloaded and overwriting the controller settings if it re-registers

ccm-manager config

ccm-manager config server

You also need to configure the IOS gateway to use a fractional PRI config under the T1/E1 controller.

For example

controller e1 0/0/0

pri-group timeslots 1-6, 15

or

controller t1 0/0/0

pri-group timeslots 1-6, 24

Thanks for the quick reply, Does that mean we can config. it as 1-6,15 but not to load the CCM-MANAGER CONFIG. statement so to stop teh override of teh MGCP config? Would this 1-x,15 set up stop the Router registering at all. thanks

Yes - you have to configure the Gateway with the fractional config , and turn off the config server feature to prevent the ccm from overwriting this config the next time it re-registers. The config on the router will not affect the registration of the gateway to the call manager.

Pcameron,

+5 point for this. This is good. Never even though of busying out the unavailable channels. I just use Fractional E1 with mgcp directly.

Please rate all useful posts

Super great post here. I have a question for you. I will this work with your MGCP configuration in the Features, if i do this:

controller T1 0/0/0

framing esf

linecode b8zs

cablelength long 0db

pri-group timeslots 1-24 service mgcp

!

controller T1 0/0/1

framing esf

linecode b8zs

cablelength long 0db

pri-group timeslots 1-7,24 service mgcp

Then take out the CCM-Manager Config in the vg config?

Thanks much!!

I got this to work with (2) PRIs. One with 1-24 and the other with 1-7. No problem

So now I have 3 PRIs and the provider wants to it configured with 1-20 1-20 and 1-20.

I went in and everytime I go to configure it, i lose my serial 0/3/0 card. Its really odd.

Register the gateway with the ccm-manager config

Once I see Serial 0/0/0 and 0/0/1 and 0/3/0, I then remove the ccm-manager config.

I shut down the voice-port 0/0/0-1 0/3/0

remove bind-l3 ccm-manager from each.

Go into each controller and configure 1-20-,24

on the third controller 0/3/0, I lose it completely. Int serial 0/3/0 just drops off the config. The controller T1 0/3/0 is there, but it will not let me configure it.

or it defaults to 1-10, 24.

and whats weird is that I never put in 1-10, 24 anywhere. So Im not sure if its defaulting to this because of DSP resources or? I have 8 DSPs available and should be enough?

Figured it out. I had 8 sessions for conferencing, and not enough DSPs to configure what i needed. So for whatever reason, the IOS pulls that card completely out. In ccm-config mode, it keeps it there, but leaves the channels remaining it can use... such as 1-10. I turned off my Conferencing profile, then configured my 1-14 channels, then turned on my conference profile and it flagged me to change to 6 because of DSP resources!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: