Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Discovery Hangs in CS 3.1.1

Everytime I run device discovery it never seems to finish or just hanges. I have to manually stop it so it can update the DCR.

Anyone have any ideas? This seems to have happened after we upgraded our core switch (6513) from CAT OS to IOS.

Thanks

Mike

7 Replies 7

sfenderson
Level 1
Level 1

I have this same problem. I have had a TAC case open for a while but no resolution yet. They did give me a new version of the file

ngd-log4j.properties and change all the statements that specified FATAL to the value DEBUG. This makes it hang far less often but it also creates a large log file called

ngddiscovery.log that gets appended to each time. So I have to delete this file every couple of days. Hope this helps.

It think there was a fix in ngddiscovery related to the size of daemons.log and fix will be available in CS3.2 builds later than 04/Apr/08. Bug ID: CSCsk82551

Did you try to restart your DCR database, I mean delete it and start discovery again?

Mike

I am having the same problem as well. Discovery stalls at about 3000 devices. The ngdiscovery.log is 0 bytes. I am running CS 3.2 and have not tried modifying the ngd-log4j.properties file. Was there an actual patch available or was it simply changing FATAL to DEBUG that allowed the discovery to complete?

What worked for me was changing the discovery settings. I deselected ARP and went with CDP only. I anly have 278 devices, but It found every device and everything seems to be working fine.

Mike

What worked for me was changing the discovery settings. I deselected ARP and went with CDP only. I anly have 278 devices, but It found every device and everything seems to be working fine.

Mike

TAC gave me a new version of

ngd-log4j.properties and then told me to change all the occurences of FATAL to DEBUG. The new version of the file had additional statements (about double the orginal).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: