cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS image k9 and other client security issues

dpatten
Level 1
Level 1

Hi - I downloaded an image for a Cat2960 that has k9 in the image name. I upgrade the ios and after sh run, I saw the crypto info. Does crypto need to be turned on? It doesn't appear to be on because my file access did not slow down. Also I want to set up crypto to another Cat2960 and Cat1841 router. Thanks - Dave

6 Replies 6

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

David,

The crypto runs strictly in the switch. Having the crypto IOS allows you to establish a secure connection to the switch Via SSH, or HTTPS. The crypto image does not perform encryption to your actual data.

HTH,

Mark

Hi Thanks for the reply. Does the switch I have support encryption to a router like the Cat1841 or is encryption only between routers?

You will need another router with a crypto IOS to create a VPN encrypted tunnel between the two routers. The switch is unable to perform VPN encryption.

Hi - Thanks for the info. I have another issue with my switch and lan setup. My client computer needs to send the data across our network to connect to a vendor router. He wants to have it encrypted. Do you have any suggestions? I am going to setup "protected ports"(no forwarding of info) and "port security"(port set to mac address). This isn't encryption. Thanks - Dave

Hi. Your answers have help my situation so my post can be considered resolved. If you come up with an answer to my previous question, that would be great. Thanks - Dave

With your current setup I don't believe it can be done in a hardware configuration. Your best bet would be use a third party SSH tunneling software between the clients. I've never used this before but the only thing that came to mind.

HTH,

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: