cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP and BGP multihoming with Failover (Nice Scenario)

kotrade
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I wish to configure HSRP and BGP multihoming with failover and I request configuration steps from experienced professionals of this forum.

I am also attaching diagram of network.

HSRP

I wanted to implement HSRP between R2 and R3 in Head office with tracking Serial0. R2 with ISP-A is primary link to reach incoming and outgoing internet traffic and accept traffic from internet destined for Server1 hosted inside network. If Serial0 of R2 to ISP-A gets down or complete R2 failure the outbound traffic should flow from R3 to ISP-B and come back the same route.

BGP

We have total of three internet connection. Head office has connection from ISP-A and ISP-B one connection in Disaster Recovery site (DR Site) from ISP-B.

The order to use of these connections are ISP-A is primary link and in the event of serial link failure or router failure (HSRP) the traffic should flow from ISP-B to internet and if both ISP-A and ISP-B is not available (meaning disaster happened) then the traffic from internet to Server1 should flow from ISP-B via DR site.

R2 - ISP-A = Primary link for incoming and outgoing traffic

R3 - ISP-B = Secondary Link for incoming and outgoing traffic

R4 - ISP-B = Tertiary link for incoming and outgoing traffic

Thanks

5 Replies 5

lamay : Thanks and appreciate your help. Any advice on configuring DR site? How can I make it the internet link in DR Site is tertiary choice?

Prepend the network more times in that location's router with an outgoing route-map.

Syed

I believe that the link that Victor posted is quite helpful and will give you good guidance. I would emphasize that if you want ISP A to be primary, ISP B to be secondary, and ISP B - DR to be third, then you need to be careful to configure local-preference on the EBGP sessions so that the IBGP advertisements will clearly have ISP A as the best, ISP B as next, and ISP B - DR as the least.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks. What level of involvment I need from ISP A and B ? Do I need to use community strings? How can ISP - A and B will help me to achive my objective. Thanks in advance for your guidence.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: