cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP and BGP multihoming with Failover (Nice Scenario)

kotrade
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I wish to configure HSRP and BGP multihoming with failover and I request configuration steps from experienced professionals of this forum.

I am also attaching diagram of network.

HSRP

I wanted to implement HSRP between R2 and R3 in Head office with tracking Serial0. R2 with ISP-A is primary link to reach incoming and outgoing internet traffic and accept traffic from internet destined for Server1 hosted inside network. If Serial0 of R2 to ISP-A gets down or complete R2 failure the outbound traffic should flow from R3 to ISP-B and come back the same route.

BGP

We have total of three internet connection. Head office has connection from ISP-A and ISP-B one connection in Disaster Recovery site (DR Site) from ISP-B.

The order to use of these connections are ISP-A is primary link and in the event of serial link failure or router failure (HSRP) the traffic should flow from ISP-B to internet and if both ISP-A and ISP-B is not available (meaning disaster happened) then the traffic from internet to Server1 should flow from ISP-B via DR site.

R2 - ISP-A = Primary link for incoming and outgoing traffic

R3 - ISP-B = Secondary Link for incoming and outgoing traffic

R4 - ISP-B = Tertiary link for incoming and outgoing traffic

Thanks

5 Replies 5

lamay : Thanks and appreciate your help. Any advice on configuring DR site? How can I make it the internet link in DR Site is tertiary choice?

Prepend the network more times in that location's router with an outgoing route-map.

Syed

I believe that the link that Victor posted is quite helpful and will give you good guidance. I would emphasize that if you want ISP A to be primary, ISP B to be secondary, and ISP B - DR to be third, then you need to be careful to configure local-preference on the EBGP sessions so that the IBGP advertisements will clearly have ISP A as the best, ISP B as next, and ISP B - DR as the least.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks. What level of involvment I need from ISP A and B ? Do I need to use community strings? How can ISP - A and B will help me to achive my objective. Thanks in advance for your guidence.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card