Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix 515 DMZ routing question

clougher01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a public /24 address range that i want to apply to a DMZ on a pix 515. The outside interface on the pix is connected to a Cisco router using an private address 10.x.x.x This router is running bgp and eigrp. I need to advertise the DMZ range in BGP and allow traffic from the internet to the DMZ on the pix.The issue i seem to be having is getting the traffic from the router to the DMZ. At the moment there are no access-lists in place anywhere and the router has routes to the pix. By debugging icmp on the pix i can see the inbound icmp traffic hitting the pix ok but the pix doesnt reply. I have tried this with static and eigrp routes on both the router and pix.

Any help much appreciated...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No problem at all, many people are stumped by this :)

Please rate helpful posts.

Regards

Farrukh

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you don't apply an ACL on the outside interface (lower security) how will it communicate with the DMZ interface (higher security)? Also by the PIX/ASA rules you will not be able to ping the DMZ interface itself from the Router on the outside, Try to ping something 'behind' the DMZ interface, like a web-server etc.

Regards

Farrukh

I did have an acl permit ip any any on the outside to start with but deleted to test..

Can i ask why i cant ping the DMZ interface from the outside router?

This is just one of the 'rules' in the Cisco Firewall perhaps to keep the firewal's zones 'stealth' in a way (I know its lame :) ).

You cannot ping any of its interfaces THROUGH another interface (by default). Put the ACL back and try to test using something other than ping.

outside-router#>telnet dmz-server

Regards

Farrukh

Yup you were correct. Didn't know u cant ping DMZ int address.

Thanks very much all good now...

No problem at all, many people are stumped by this :)

Please rate helpful posts.

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card