cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4 Mbps V.35 on an 1841?

7r-badami
Level 1
Level 1

I have a possible requirement to support a 4 Mbps V.35 connection on an existing 1841 router. I believe that the existing WIC-1T card is limited to 2 Mbps regardless of platform, is that correct?

Can this be accomplished with a WIC-2T card? I know that the WIC-2T is capable of 8 Mbps in the 2600 series platforms, but I can find no documentation as to maximum bitrates of either card in the 1841.

Any info or pointers to the relevent doc would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-roy

4 Replies 4

Goutam Sanyal
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

As per Cisco:

Product: WIC-2T Two-port Serial WAN Interface Card

Description: Provides two serial connections up to 8 Mbps. The smart serial connector supports any of six interface types (RS-232, EIA-449, EIA-530, EIA-530a, V.35, X.21) in either DTE or DCE mode. This interface card inserts into a Cisco mixed-media network module or directly into a Cisco WIC expansion slot. Modular Router Solutions Serial and Legacy

Supported Platforms and Minimum Cisco IOS Versions: Concentration 3800 Series-12.3(11)T, 2800 Series-12.3(8)T4, 1841-12.3(8)T4

Comments: Supported in chassis WIC slot or one of the following mixed-media network modules: NM-2W, NM-1FE2W-V2, NM-2FE2W-V2, or NM-1FE1R2W.

Thanks

Goutam

pls rate it helps you.

Thanks, but that's not really any more than I know already.

It's sometimes the case that a card can have different capabilities in different platforms.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_tech_note09186a00800b0858.shtml

This talks about the limitations of the card in a number of platforms, but unfortunately doesn't mention the 1841.

What I'm really after is confirmation that the WIC-2T supports 8 Mbps (or at least 4 Mbps) specifically in an 1841. My guess is it probably does, but then the 1841 datasheet only talks about the router being capable of T1/E1 speeds, so maybe not...

-roy

I'm pretty sure that WIC-2T can support 8Mbps with the use of V.35 cable. However, you can only use 1 port. If you connect both serial ports, then you'll only get 4Mbps on each port.

From memory, WIC-1T can support 4Mbps, as long as you use V.35 cable.

As far as 1841 only supporting T1/E1 speed, I think the data sheet is referring to max wire-speed encrypted throughput. It shouldn't have any issues supporting 8Mbps unencrypted. I've seen 1841's with 10Mbps synchronous DSL (referred to as BDSL in Australia, not sure what it's called in other countries), no issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco