cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating IPM collector causes SUP to fail

tverhoeven
Level 1
Level 1

I created a collector to send an echo to 3 servers directly connected to it. The switch is a 6506 with 12.2(18)SXF3. I am running ipm version 4.0.1. Any ideas what may have caused this?

thanks

tony

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What happened, exactly?

I simply went in to setup a collector using a simple echo from a 6506 to 3 servers connected to it. I did this at 1:58pm and about 1 min later, the switch failed over to the secondary sup.

As akemp pointed out, you may be seeing a bug. Was there anything in show logg or on the console like a trace back? It could help confirm this diagnosis.

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

I had this happen with 6509E's with that particular release, you need to get to at least 12.2(18) SFX5 (or the current one) for the problem to go away. Its a fatal SNMP bug.

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you mean the switch reloads, this is probably because of CSCsd36155 (also listed as CSCin62031) in the 12.2(18)SXF# code you're running: "IOS crashes when SNMP is used to activate an IP SLA Probe.

(CISCO-RTTMON-MIB)"

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCin62031&from=summary

This bug effectively means you can't use IPM to configure IP SLA collectors on devices running the affected versions. It leaves you the option of having to configure the collectors on the IOS CLI manually.