Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to determine the management IP of the CatOS

hi guys,

i dont know if its the right term for finding the management ip address of the CatOS. im on the MSFC of the 6509 and i want to find out the ip address of the CatOS so that i can create vlan under this 6509.is there any command ?

tnx

jeff

10 Replies 10

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

if u r on the MSFC config mode

just type end

then

exit

u should go to the switch

on the switch typ

show config

u should see an interface configured with ip address called sc0 this is what r u looking for

please, if helpful rate

actually im on the router mode and i dont know the ip address of the switch. can i see the ip address of the switch on the router mode ?

tia

is it the os is CAT OS or IOS?

as i told u if it is CATOS and u r on the MSFC

u should only typ exit exit then u gonna go to the switch config mode

there u can view th configuration by the comman

show config

if u see interface named sc0 with ip address thats for managment

Goutam Sanyal
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

pls visit the bellow url, hope it will help you for the above.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/catos/8.x/configuration/guide/6000_cfg.pdf

Thanks

Goutam

[pls rate all helpful post]

Jeff

If you are on the router side I would expect that show cdp neighbor would show the switch as a cdp neighbor. And if that is the case then show cdp neighbor detail should show the IP address for management of the switch.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi guys,

I hope im not sending the wrong info here. i have 6509 cat switch. i have only access to the router part of it, my question is how can i access the ip address of the catOS inside this 6509. Do i need to this catOS or i can directly create vlan on the router mode?

tia

because it is cat OS

u need to creat the VLAN on the switch then go to the MSFS to creat the VLAN interface also known as SVI

on the swith do:

set vlan {vlans} [name name] [type type] [state state] [said said] [mtu mtu]

[bridge bridge_num] [mode bridge_mode] [stp stp_type] [translation vlan_num]

[aremaxhop hopcount] [pvlan-type pvlan_type] [mistp-instance mistp_instance]

[ring hex_ring_number] [decring decimal_ring_number] [parent vlan_num]

[backupcrf {off | on}] [stemaxhop hopcount] [rspan]

then do for example from the switch mode session 15

u will go to the MSFC

then on the MSFC do :

interface vlan 10

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

no shut

the config above only example

please, if helpful rate

Marwan

Jeff has told us more than once that he has access to the MSFC but not to the switch. Therefore your advice about what he should change on the switch is not useful.

Jeff

Perhaps it would help us to give you better advice if you could give us some more detail about your situation. How is it that you have access to the MSFC (the router part) but not to the switch?

Have you attempted my suggestion about show cdp neighbor detail? Does the MSFC see the switch as a neighbor?

If for some reason the MSFC does not see the switch as a neighbor then are there any other Cisco devices connected to any of the switch ports? If so, then show cdp neighbor might show the IP of the switch on those devices.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard

to be honest i got lost

because i wanna guid him but we look like in the same stage till now

i just given him the above info

because he asked that dose he need to go to the switch mode or not??

so i told him because u are useing CATOS u have to creat the L2 vlan on the switch mode then

make the SVIs on the MSFC

am i right Mr. Richard ?

and this is jeff Q:

" Do i need to this catOS or i can directly create vlan on the router mode? "

and good luck for jeff

Hi Rick,

show cdp will not pull out the ip address.

Before im handling some 6500 switches wherein i have a management ip address for the switch and also for the router part.

Right now i have the ip address of the router part and im asking if i can get the ip address of the switch part (sc0 maybe).

Sorry creating some heat. And thanks for all your help, each posts gains me knowledge.

Tnx

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: