wan question

Unanswered Question
Aug 3rd, 2008

Hi. I currently have two isp providers. One of my ports f0/0 has a t1 connection and another port f1/0 has a 512 kbps capacity which i intend to use as a backup. I was wondering, is there a way for me to setup the router so that if the t1 line gets congested that it will automatically forward packets out to f1/0. And that it will only stop forwarding packets once the t1 line becomes less congested?

Thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jaleelahmed.sd Sun, 08/03/2008 - 19:00

think you are looking for load-sharing for your t1 & 512k link.

You can go for MLPPP so that per-packet load sharing load can happen.

regards

marcusbrutus Sun, 08/03/2008 - 19:07

Hi. I understand that load sharing takes a lot of router resources. Also, from what i understand of load sharing(per destination or per packet) is that it will equally use both available wan ports. In my case, i would like it only to use the other interface once the primary port becomes congested.

Please advise.

Regards,

Lester

Giuseppe Larosa Sun, 08/03/2008 - 22:22

Hello Lester,

for using the second slower link only when the first T1 is very busy you can define the second link as a backup interface for the first.

The backup commands allow to define when the backup interface starts to work and load should be supported.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk133/technologies_tech_note09186a008009457d.shtml#backup_interfaces

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Actions

This Discussion