cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wan question

marcusbrutus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I currently have two isp providers. One of my ports f0/0 has a t1 connection and another port f1/0 has a 512 kbps capacity which i intend to use as a backup. I was wondering, is there a way for me to setup the router so that if the t1 line gets congested that it will automatically forward packets out to f1/0. And that it will only stop forwarding packets once the t1 line becomes less congested?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

jaleelahmed.sd
Level 1
Level 1

think you are looking for load-sharing for your t1 & 512k link.

You can go for MLPPP so that per-packet load sharing load can happen.

regards

Hi. I understand that load sharing takes a lot of router resources. Also, from what i understand of load sharing(per destination or per packet) is that it will equally use both available wan ports. In my case, i would like it only to use the other interface once the primary port becomes congested.

Please advise.

Regards,

Lester

Hello Lester,

for using the second slower link only when the first T1 is very busy you can define the second link as a backup interface for the first.

The backup commands allow to define when the backup interface starts to work and load should be supported.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk133/technologies_tech_note09186a008009457d.shtml#backup_interfaces

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For outbound load, OER or PfR might come close to what you want to accomplish.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card