cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CME and FAC

roseeng69
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone please advise how I can configure FAC to require an authorization code entry prior to establishing a call? I am attempting to utilize this similar to FAC functionality in the CM.

Thank you.

8 Replies 8

Michael Owuor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rose,

Forced Authorization Code is not available natively in CME. There is, however, a (non-TAC supported) TCL script that can authenticate calls either to a Radius server or to a local database on the CME router to provide a similar FAC functionality that you are used to in CUCM. Contact TAC to obtain this TCL script.

There are plans to include this TCL script in IOS and to have full TAC support in a future release of CME.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Michael.

Thanks for your help and answering my email, Michael. I was hoping I missed something in the documentation and there was an easy way of incorporating this in the CME similar to the CM.

Hi Michael,

I found that FAC is possible in UC500 series. Am doing further research on this. Meanwhile could you confirm whether is it possible in UC500.

Kindly find below the statement:

Can UC500/CME be configured to prompt a caller for a PIN before placing a call?

Yes, this is possible using a built-in script on the UC500. This feature is called Forced Access Code (FAC) or Auth Codes and UC500 supports a very simple implementation of it. This is how it works:

1) IP Phone user dials a particular pattern (international destination, for example)

2) If this destination is enabled for FAC, the user will hear a voice prompt asking for an Account number and PIN

3) The user enters the Account/PIN pair. If valid, the call proceeds, if not the call is dropped.

from the link:

http://supportwiki.cisco.com/ViewWiki/index.php/SBCS:Call_Handling_-_Cisco_Unified_Communications_500_Series_-_Cisco_Smart_Business_Communication_Systems#Can_UC500.2FCME_be_configured_to_prompt_a_caller_for_a_PIN_before_placing_a_call.3F

Need your valuable comment on this.

Regards,

Ashish

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rose,

Just to add a note to the good info from Michael;

To use a PIN code to authorize access to Long Distance Toll calls (like FAC codes in CCM). In CME use Call Blocking and Override funtionality. Have a look;

Call blocking to prevent unauthorized use of phones is implemented by matching a pattern of specified digits during a specified time of day and day of week or date. Up to 32 patterns of digits can be specified. Call blocking is supported on IP phones only and not on analog foreign exchange station (FXS) phones.

When a user attempts to place a call to digits that match a pattern that has been specified for call blocking during a time period that has been defined for call blocking, a fast busy signal is played for approximately 10 seconds. The call is then terminated, and the line is placed back in on-hook status.

Call blocking applies to all IP phones in a Cisco CME system, although individual IP phones can be exempted from all call blocking.

Individual phone users can be allowed to override call blocking associated with designated time periods by entering **personal identification numbers (PINs)** that have been assigned to their phones.

For IP phones that support soft keys, such as the Cisco IP Phone 7940G and the Cisco IP Phone 7960G, the call-blocking override feature allows individual phone users to override the call blocking that has been defined for designated time periods. The system administrator must first assign a personal identification number (PIN) to any phone that will be allowed to override call blocking.

Then, to override call blocking, the phone user presses the Login soft key on the phone and enters the PIN that is associated with the phone. Note that logging in to a phone with a PIN only allows the user to override call blocking that is associated with particular time periods. Blocking patterns that are created with the 7-24 keyword in the after-hours block pattern command are in effect 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, and they cannot be overridden by using a PIN.

When PINs are configured for call-blocking override, they are cleared at a specific time of day or after phones have been idle for a specific amount of time. The time of day and amount of time can be set by the system administrator.

From this good CME doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmeblock.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Excellent Rob, one more feather in your hat. All 5 points to you...

Regards,

Ashish

Hi Ashish,

Thanks for your kind words my friend! What a nice way to start the day.

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks so much for explaining the call blocking feature! You guys are great!

Rose

Hi Rose,

You are most welcome! Glad to be of some assistance here.

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: