cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fax to FSX port

NewBloke01
Level 1
Level 1

I've sort of inherited a problem with a fax machine in Italy. It has never worked and I don't have access to the designer, I have just been asked to make it work. The following is the relevant config details, I can provide more info if required.

voice-port 0/0/0

output attenuation -6

echo-cancel coverage 32

echo-cancel erl worst-case 0

compand-type a-law

no comfort-noise

cptone IT

connection plar 1018

music-threshold -30

caller-id enable

!

dial-peer voice 1018 pots

description Fax number +39 nnn-nnn-nnn

information-type fax

incoming called-number nnnn

fax rate disable

supplementary-service pass-through

direct-inward-dial

port 0/0/0

The fax doesn't work and to test it, I try calling the number from my London office, I expect to get the fax tone but just get the busy signal, any pointers would be gratefully received.

Tim

3 Replies 3

NewBloke01
Level 1
Level 1

That should of course read FXS port....

Tim

Michael Hanes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tim,

All fax calls start off as voice calls. In other words, you must be able to setup a basic VoIP call to this device before you can troubleshoot anything related to fax. If you are getting a busy signal then this is a VoIP connection problem. This can be cause by improper call routing or maybe the fax machine is just broken and stuck in an offhook state. The best way to troubleshoot this problem would be to have someone temporarily unplug the fax machine and plug in an analog phone. Then confirm that you can place a VoIP call to this analog phone and that the voice quality is satisfactory. Once you get calls working to the analog phone then plug the fax machine back in and you should hear fax tones.

Regards,

David

Thanks David,

I will ask someone in Italy to plug in an analog phone. I will get back to you with the results

Tim

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: