Views
Helpful
Replies

redistributing redistributed routes

rajivrajan1
Level 3
Level 3

Dear Firends,

I am trying to redistribute some static routes int to ospf - it's happening siccessfully.

"redistribute static subnets"

The same redistributed routes again im redistributing into BGP.- This is not happing.

" tried with all possible ospf to bgp redistributing commands"

This whole excersise is happening in a single ( same ) router.

1.Is this possible?

2.if it's not why

3.Is there any way to tweak this ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rajeev

If you configure BGP with redistribution of OSPF routes then the router looks for any routes in the routing table which are "O" routes and redistributes them. The static routes are "S" routes in the routing table - and redistributing them into OSPF will make them "O" routes on neighboring OSPF neighbor routers, but on the local router they are still "S" routes. Therefore there is no way to redistribute from OSPF to BGP and get those routes. But if you want those routes in BGP then under BGP configure redistribute static and it should work just fine.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rajeev

If you configure BGP with redistribution of OSPF routes then the router looks for any routes in the routing table which are "O" routes and redistributes them. The static routes are "S" routes in the routing table - and redistributing them into OSPF will make them "O" routes on neighboring OSPF neighbor routers, but on the local router they are still "S" routes. Therefore there is no way to redistribute from OSPF to BGP and get those routes. But if you want those routes in BGP then under BGP configure redistribute static and it should work just fine.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

rick,

Thanx , u were correct.

Routes there in routing table only can be redistributed and not in any other table of routing protocol.

It was realy helpful for me.

Rated u full;)

thanx again.

Rajeev

I am glad that my response was helpful and resolved your question. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that there were responses which did resolve the question.

The forum is an excellent place to learn Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

Are u redistributing static or OSPF into BGP ?

only protocol which knows routes in a node can be redistributed on that very same node.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card