Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS5.1.64.0

scottwilliamson
Level 2
Level 2

Hi All,

I see there is a new version of WCS - has anyone installed it yet, particularly on the Linux platform? Is Red Hat 5.0 included in the download or do you now have to get it seperately?

Some of the new features look good. Any opinions about the new version? Is it worth upgrading or should we wait for the next release?

Thanks

Scott

8 Replies 8

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

Haven't tried it yet, but will do after it has been on the streets for a bit. Redhat is not included and has to be acquired separately.

You should keep the WCS version up to date according to the relevance of your controller version.

For example:

5.1.64.0-WCS = 5.1.151.0-WLC

4.2.97.0-WCS = 4.2.130.0-WLC

Hi Eric,

Have you taken the plunge yet?

Scott

Scott,

No, we have stayed on 4.2.130.0 on the controllers per Cisco TAC, Cisco TMEs and other folks we have talked to as well so our WCS is still at 4.2.97.0. I will be moving the OS to CentOS 5.x soon from 4.7 as we are implementing Spacewalk https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/ for our servers and would like to get all our linux boxes up to the same level.

ooohh.....

I see that 4.2.110.0 is out, I will definitely jump on that...

BRYN JONES
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have tried to use it without success. All our previous WCS software has run on a 64 bit Redhat 4 OS, but once we installed Redhat 5 and tried to install 5.1.64.0 it would't install.

Cisco have seemingly, 'in order to enhance your user experience', stopped WCS installing itself on 64 bit OS. This is a real pain, as when we specced our server based on their WCS documentation, there was no mention of it having to be 32 bit (that we saw).

anyway, this issue is covered by Cisco bug id: CSCsj79103

Hi Bryn,

Thanks for that. I take it you'll need to replace your server with a 32 bit platform?

Regards,

Scott

All of the reasons listed above are why I suggest running WCS in a Microsoft environment. I know, that's a dirty word with a lot of you guys but you must understand that TAC support is more comfortable and experienced with the Windows version and the doc is kept better up to date. For those of you who don't mind the extra work using Linux, I suggest you always call TAC and ask for an agent with Linux experience and validate any version changes to your OS or WCS. It's much better than it was with Airespace, trust me.

WLSE appliance Running 5.1.64.0 and 5.1.151.0 on 4402 and 4404. I won't mention my RH version... I love the new features, especially the scheduled radio tasks. I would second Dennis' suggestion of the MS environment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card