Subnet sizes with enterprise wireless?

Unanswered Question

Hi,

We're a school district with approximately 25 sites in a metro ethernet configuration, and we're starting to roll out our wireless infrastructure (WCS 5.1/WLC4400s/1252s) on a pilot basis.

Our goal is to provide 3 SSIDs, organization-wide.

I'm told that many large orgs use a /21 and even a /20 for enterprise wireless VLANs.

Are there guidelines or best practices for subnet sizing of wireless VLANs?

We'd like to have the same SSIDs, organization-wide and keep configurations as simple as possible. It sounds like using larger VLANs might be the way to go.

Thanks in advance

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
krishanmistry Mon, 08/04/2008 - 13:33
User Badges:

I would keep subnets to no bigger than 256 users, I would recommend using AP groups to allocate wireless vlan's depending on which AP you associate with. For each of your 25 site I would have its own AP group and VLAN for each SSID.

Krishan

Convergis

Scott Fella Mon, 08/04/2008 - 14:04
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

It depends on the engineer. Like Krishan, I like to keep the subnet a /24. Use AP Groups when needed. If you need more than one subnet per building, then break it up by floor. Here is a link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008073c723.shtml

Actions

This Discussion