cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Verify BGP prepended routes with Looking Glass?

trippi
Level 1
Level 1

I have 3 BGP paths to my headquarters. When I look at the path via a looking glass site, only the primary shows up. THe ones I have prepended don't show up..Did I misconfigure something or do the prepended networks not show up?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Andy,

a looking glass offers a specific point of view over the internet.

Different looking glass can provide different results.

Notice that if none of the ISP receiving your prepended paths has a direct eBGP session with the looking glass this will explain what you see.

You should go on the looking glass of the provider that receives your prepended paths to verify if it accepts them.

Also be aware that if you have three BGP sessions with the same provider it is correct that in the internet you will see only the non-prepended best path.

If you are connecting to different ISPs and they accept prepending you should find the prepended paths at least on the provider's looking glass (if any)

A good source of looking glasses is:

www.traceroute.org

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Andy,

a looking glass offers a specific point of view over the internet.

Different looking glass can provide different results.

Notice that if none of the ISP receiving your prepended paths has a direct eBGP session with the looking glass this will explain what you see.

You should go on the looking glass of the provider that receives your prepended paths to verify if it accepts them.

Also be aware that if you have three BGP sessions with the same provider it is correct that in the internet you will see only the non-prepended best path.

If you are connecting to different ISPs and they accept prepending you should find the prepended paths at least on the provider's looking glass (if any)

A good source of looking glasses is:

www.traceroute.org

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Andy

It is not necessarily a problem and does not necessarily mean that anything is misconfigured. You advertise your routes with prepends to the other providers to provide an alternate path. When a BGP router at your other provider receives different advertisements for the same prefix (your normal advertisement through your primary and then your prepended advertisement) it will select the best path (shortest AS path) and that is what it will advertise to its other peers. So it is not likely that the looking glass would see your prepended routes.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Miroslav Berkov
Level 1
Level 1

Please feel free to check up your prefix visibility with our BGP Looking Glass servers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card