Who writes these things?

Unanswered Question
Aug 4th, 2008

I am honestly interested in finding out who writes the Cisco tests. Is it a department within Cisco? Is it an outside firm? It's painfully obvious that they need someone to act as an editor. The poor grammar, the poor spelling and the incredible ambiguity of the questions are getting to be embarrassing. It would also help if this new person actually knows the material so we can do away with situations where the same answer is given twice, or where there is no correct answer at all. I would very much like to apply to be one of these editors because I'm hearing grumblings from many sides about this subject, and someone has to step up to the plate and make it better. Can anybody help me with this? I've been researching it and have discovered nothing.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jim_berlow Tue, 08/05/2008 - 11:03

Cisco doesn't publicly publish how the tests are designed or who is selected to help compose them.

I did once receive an invitation to fly out to one of their campuses and participate in a focus group for one of the certifications. I had to decline the offer, but the email was very, very generic about what role you would serve and what the results of your work would be. I can only guess at how that group fits into the equation.

I know that answer doesn't help much. This might be a great question to ask next time Cisco does a "Ask the expert" in this forum. If anyone can tell you - that might be the resource.

Although i'm unsure who the test writer is (currently studying to take exam) it appears Wendell Odom is the author of CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (Barnes & Noble Exclusive Edition) and I have found more than exceptable misspellings and errors. However, I am enjoying the format in that I seem to be understanding the text and what it teaches very well.

Do you have any advice or helpful hints while preparing for the exam??

refram Fri, 08/08/2008 - 10:16

Yes. The best place to get study information is reachable from the Cisco web site itself (although it's being hosted by a new company). Go to the following URL:

https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/community/certifications/ccna?view=overview

You'll need a username and password. Your current Cisco login probably won't work, so you'll need to register with the new hosts of the site. Once you reach the page, look in the left column under "Routing and Switching CCNA". Click it, then select ICND1, ICND2 and/or CCNA Single Exam. In the middle of the screen go to the "Practice" tab and take the quizzes for each of these categories. They offer a very good look at how Cisco asks questions, as well as a good view of where you should focus your studies. Don't waste your money or your time on any other study guide besides your book and these questions. Realize, though, that most people who take the test the first time don't pass. Use the test itself as a study guide too. It's an expensive prospect, I know, but there's no way around it.

Actions

This Discussion