Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 and WLC

Hi Folks,

We have a 2960-8TC-L and a WLC 4402 (configured as L3).

On Gi0/1 we have an LAP1131, on Gi0/6 we have WLC's Management Interface (Port1) and on Gi0/7 we have the AP-Manager (Port2).

Both the Mgmt interface and the ap-manager have valid Ip addresses.

We have the AP getting the IP (private address) from a dhcp pool configured on the 2960 (options 60 and 43 properly configured).

Problem: the AP never get to find the controller in order to join to.

Question: Would this problem be because we have a L2 switch trying to associate AP on a L3 controller?

Thanks,

AL

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you set the WLC to L3, that means the ap needs to have an ip address. Management and ap-manager needs to be on the same subnet and the time has to be set on wlc. Place the ap on the same subnet as the wlc management and ap-manager's interface. Make sure there is a dhcp scope on that subnet... no need for the options on the scope. The ap will get an ip address and find the wlc. Then you can move the ap to the correct vlan and see if the ap finds the controller. Doing it this way, tha ap will know of the wlc and should have no issues finding the controller again.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Fella, thanks for your reply.

None of your suggestions apply to our problem, as we do not have enough valid IP for the APs and the WLC needs to be reachable through the internet for management purposes (natting is not an option).

Any other hint?

Once again, thanks.

AL.

If the access points are remote, then the ap's need to have an ip address no matter what. The look into configuring the access points in h-reap.

-Scott

Hi Fella, thanks for yor reply.

The APs and the WLC are not separeted by a WAN link.

Is there any situation where an access point does not need to have an IP address?

I guess I did not catch your point.

Thanks a bunch.

Regards,

AL

It is recommended that you use L3 unless you have the older Airespace 1000 ap's. If you have the 1000 ap's, then using L2 will work for you.

-Scott

Hi Fella, thanks for your reply.

So, I guess that the answer lies on my original message; is that correct?

"Question: Would this problem be because we have a L2 switch trying to associate AP on a L3 controller?"

I used Airespace 1000 in the past with L3 topology (DHCP option) without a glitch.

BTW, what would be a scenario in which an AP wouldn't need an IP address?

Once again, thanks a lot.

AL

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card