cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Supervisor VI

rsabapathee
Level 1
Level 1

I understand with Supervisor VI in redundant mode, upto 4 X2 10G modules can be configured.

Anyone knows how and when this will be implemented? (Will there be a requirement for IOS upgrade?)

thx

6 Replies 6

ssieger
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

my IOS version is 12.2(44)SG, try this:

hw-module uplink mode shared-backplane

Do the following for both of the sup's:

hw-module module 5 port-group 1 select tengigabitethernet

You have to restart the system to take affect.

HTH, Stephan

Hi,

Do you mean it is possible to us all four X2 modules on a redundant Supervisor VI?

I thought this feature was not yet active and will be by end of this year. Plz clarify.

Hello,

please take a look here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/prod_white_paper0900aecd806ed38a.html

Of course you need the appopriate ios version as described in the pdf. I've installed ios 12.2.(44)SG, and i would be able to activate the commands, but it is a productive system, and the slots are in use as gigabit uplinks. So plan your update and trie, there is nothing to loose.

Greetings,

Stephan

Thx,

I think I have understood. to make sure:

If I have 2 Sup VI with four X2 modules, I will be able to use all four of them with separate links within my network supporting 10Gbps.

thx

'The second option is referred to as 2 + 2 redundancy; in this configuration, both 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplink ports on each of the two supervisor engines are forwarding traffic and the uplinks are 2:1 oversubscribed.'

I need to understand this before i can make an investment on the Sup VI.

1) Does it mean that all four X2 10G Modules can be used independently?

In which case there is no redundancy.

Yes, all for X2 10G Modules can be used independently, but two of them will share the bandwidth. The case in which you have no redundancy depends on the devices you plug in there. For example you can use 1/1 and 2/1 to build a channel, and use it fo an uplink to another switch. If you going to attach a server it should be equipped with two nic's. You have to make sure that there neve will be a case of "no redundancy". As long as one Sup is alive you will have two X2 Modules available.

Hth,

Stephan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card